Media Statement by Tunku Abdul Aziz, former DAP vice-chairman, issued at a press conference at 11.15 am on Jan 3, 2017 at the Corus Hotel, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.
Mukhriz Mahathir has threatened legal action against Tunku Abdul Aziz to silence him.
Tunku Abdul Aziz strongly urges Mukhriz and Lim Kit Siang to make a statutory declaration that they have no political ambitions to become prime minister (PM) and deputy prime minister (DPM) respectively.
1. Mukhriz has responded to my press statement issued on Dec 30, 2016, in which I said that according to my information, Mahathir Mohamad and Lim Kit Siang had reached a secret agreement that in the event of Pakatan Harapan winning the next general election (GE14), Mukhriz would become prime minister with Lim Kit Siang as his deputy. Mukhriz now threatens to sue me if I do not reveal the source of my information.
2. He has, as to be expected in the circumstances, dismissed my assertions as baseless. If that is the case, I am intrigued by his insistence on knowing the identity of my informant. If as he has said these assertions were without any basis in fact, then why involve a third party whose identity I am in all the circumstances honour and duty-bound to protect. I and I alone should be held primarily accountable for my actions.
3. I am naturally surprised that he should have chosen to silence me with legal action. All I had tried to do was to share the information I was given by an impeccable and unimpeachable source which I believed then, as I believe now, to be of considerable public interest in view of the enormity of the potential fallout from this “secret understanding” and its impact on the Malay political psyche and Malaysian body politic.
4. It has now become obvious to many that Mukhriz, “the prime minister in waiting,” and his “deputy prime minister in the making,” Lim Kit Siang, are so traumatised by recent revelations of the “secret understanding” that they were on a ‘suing rampage’ – threatening to sue left, right and centre, anyone and everyone who dares utter a word about their political ambitions.
5. They are shaken to the core by the fact that their secret machinations have come unstuck. Their plans have indeed been derailed and in tatters. The political compact hatched by Mahathir and Lim Kit Siang is now an open secret, out there in the public domain in full public view.
6. You can hardly blame people for assuming the worst because Pakatan has refused time and time again to name the chairman and deputy chairman of the Pakatan alliance. The rakyat have every right to ask the reason for such evasiveness. Are the key players hiding something sinister from the Malays whose votes they are after, to realise their Putrajaya dream?
7. How can Mukhriz and Lim Kit Siang blame people like me and countless others for drawing the inevitable conclusion about their secret political ambitions when they themselves have persistently refused to name the chairman and deputy chairman of the Pakatan alliance and yet proclaim they want to rule this country? A little more transparency is called for in order to assure the Malays voters that they were not being misled and deceived about the Lim factor. Mukhriz and Lim Kit Siang must come clean immediately.
8. In the interest of honesty in political life, I would strongly urge Mukhriz and Lim Kit Siang to make a statutory declaration that they entertain no political ambitions to be PM or DPM, ever.
8. Otherwise, don’t blame people who accuse both of them of trying to conceal from the Malays the fact that Lim Kit Siang will be the deputy prime ministerial candidate for the Pakatan alliance.
10. Once they have made the statutory declaration, by all means sue me. It is their right if that was what they wanted to do.