The following is a press statement by Tunku Abdul Aziz Tunku Ibrahim, former DAP national vice -chairman issued on January 21, 2017 at a press conference held at the Eastin Hotel, Petaling Jaya.
Mahathir has confirmed that Lim Kit Siang did ask for the post of Deputy Prime Minister in return for support for Mukhriz Mahathir to be made Prime Minister.
1. According to a newspaper report, “Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Pribumi) chairman Mahathir Mohamad has confirmed that DAP had previously asked for the deputy prime minister’s post if the opposition came to power.”
2. News portal Antarapos in its story a couple of days ago, said Mahathir claimed that DAP did not want the prime minister’s slot, as claimed by certain quarters.
3. It quoted Dr Mahathir as saying, “They clearly said to me, the Chinese are the minority in the country…..DAP has never asked to be the prime minister.” So, there you have it. I thank Dr Mahathir for confirming what I said on December 31 that a secret deal was done between Mahathir and (DAP advisor) Lim Kit Siang in which it was agreed between them that in return for his support of Mukhriz as prime minister, Lim’s request to be appointed deputy prime minister and minister of finance would have
Mahathir’ s endorsement.
4. Thanks to the Mahathir confession, Lim Kit Siang has been absolved of the obligation to make a Statutory Declaration to disprove my statement. Mahathir has now admitted indirectly that Lim Kit Siang would become deputy prime minister and finance minister should Pakatan (Harapan) win. Mahathir has just confirmed that what I said all along is indeed true. That explains why Lim Kit Siang refused to sue me. Instead he chose the coward’s way out and heaped abuse against my personal integrity.
5. Instead, Lim Kit Siang should now make a public apology to Utusan, New Straits Times and the mysterious gentleman he codenamed Josef Goebbels whom he had previously accused of purveying fake news and making up stories about his secret agreement with Mahathir. Mahathir by his own admission of the deal has denied Lim Kit Siang the pleasure of suing anybody. Kit Siang should redeem his depleting moral capital by offering his most sincere and abject apology to all concerned, including me, for his assaults on our reputation.
6. The Mahathir confession has reinforced what the Prime Minister said in Baling recently, that in the event of Pakatan winning the next election, then Lim Kit Siang and DAP would be in the driving seat of Government, with the rest as mere passengers. The dual posts of deputy prime minister and finance minister in one person would make Lim Kit Siang even more powerful than Mukhriz.
7. Now only the luckless Mukhriz will have to make a Statutory Declaration before suing me, stating that he has no political ambition to be prime minister. His father, Mahathir, might yet spring a surprise by executing another smartish U-turn to save his son. There is no accounting for Mahathir’s deft application of his selective memory at which he is a champion of sorts.
8. In the Chinese New Year spirit, therefore, I thank Mahathir for spilling the DAP red beans and letting their cat out of the bag, an act of kindness to me personally, and a total disaster for Lim the father, and Lim the son. In DAP circles, so I gather, they are still reeling in utter confusion and disbelief why all their gods have contrived to deliver Mahathir to them as a present they can do without as they prepare to celebrate the CNY. Forget Mahathir, if you can, and I wish you Happy Days ahead.