Syria decried a US missile attack on early Friday morning on a government-controlled air base where US officials say the Syrian military launched a deadly chemical attack earlier this week, calling it an “aggression” that led to “losses.”
About 60 US Tomahawk missiles hit the Shayrat air base, southeast of Homs, a small installation with two runways, where aircraft often take off to bomb targets in northern and central Syria.
The US missiles hit at 3.45am on Friday morning and targeted the base’s airstrips, hangars, control tower and ammunition areas, US officials said.
They were fired from two warships in the Mediterranean Sea, in retaliation for Tuesday’s deadly chemical attack that officials said used chlorine mixed with a nerve agent, possibly sarin.
A military official quoted on Syrian TV said an air base in central Syria was hit early Friday, causing material damage.
Another statement, also attributed to an unnamed official, referred to “losses.”
The officials did not elaborate.
A Syrian opposition group, the Syrian Coalition, welcomed the US attack, saying it puts an end to an age of “impunity” and should be just the beginning.
Major Jamil al-Saleh, a U.S-backed rebel commander whose Hama district in the country’s center was struck by the suspected chemical weapons attack, said he hoped the US attack on a government air base would be a “turning point” in the six-year war.
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu welcomed the US attack.
Netanyahu said on Friday in a statement that “In both word and action” President Donald Trump “sent a strong and clear message” that “the use and spread of chemical weapons will not be tolerated.”
The bombing represents Trump’s most dramatic military order since taking office.
The Obama administration threatened attacking Assad’s forces for previous chemical weapons attacks, but never followed through.
Trump called on “all civilised nations” to join the US in seeking an end to the carnage in Syria.
President Bashar Assad’s government had been under mounting international pressure after the chemical attack in northern Syria, with even key ally Russia saying its support is not unconditional and the US launching a barrage of cruise missiles at a government-controlled air base in Syria.
Turkey, meanwhile, said samples from victims of Tuesday’s attack, which killed more than 80 people in the town of Khan Sheikhoun, indicated that they were exposed to sarin, a highly toxic nerve agent.
Syria rejected the accusations, and Moscow had warned against apportioning blame until an investigation has been carried out.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday that “unconditional support is not possible in this current world.”
But he added that “it is not correct to say that Moscow can convince Mr. Assad to do whatever is wanted in Moscow. This is totally wrong.”
Russia has provided military support for the Syrian government since September 2015, turning the balance of power in Assad’s favor.
Moscow has used its veto power at the Security Council on several occasions since the civil war began six years ago to prevent sanctions against Damascus.
Syria maintains it didn’t use chemical weapons, blaming opposition fighters for stockpiling the chemicals. Russia’s Defense Ministry said the toxic agents were released when a Syrian airstrike hit a rebel chemical weapons arsenal and munitions factory on the eastern outskirts of Khan Sheikhoun.
“I stress, once again, that the Syrian Arab Army did not and will not use such weapons even against the terrorists who are targeting our people,” Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid Moallem told reporters in Damascus.
Trump had said the attack crossed “many, many lines,” and put the blame squarely on Assad’s forces.
Speaking on Thursday on Air Force One, Trump said the attack “shouldn’t have happened, and it shouldn’t be allowed to happen.”
Earlier, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had said he hoped Trump will take military action, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu Agency quoted him as saying.
Erdogan said Turkey would be prepared to do “whatever falls on us” to support possible military action, the news agency reported.
US officials had said they hoped for a vote late Thursday night on a UN Security Council resolution that would condemn the chemical attack, but with council members still negotiating the text into the evening, the British Mission’s political coordinator Stephen Hickey tweeted the vote wouldn’t take place until later.
At the United Nations, the US had hoped for a vote on Thursday evening on a Security Council resolution it drafted with Britain and France that would have condemned Syria’s suspected use of chemical weapons – but it was canceled because of differences among the 15 members.
Russia strongly objected to provisions in that draft and circulated its own text which diplomats said wasn’t acceptable to the three Western nations.
The 10 elected council members then presented what they hoped would be a compromise text on Thursday that addressed a key Russian objection – spelling out Syrian government obligations to investigators.
Russia’s Deputy Ambassador in UN Vladimir Safronkov said the cancelled vote “opens a window of opportunity” to keep working to find a compromise.
He said he was grateful for the draft submitted by the elected members “because it’s a clear attempt to find a common denominator” but he said it has to carefully studied in Moscow.
Safronkov stressed that a resolution “should not, cannot and will not prejudge the outcome from (an) investigation.”
After the attack, hospitals around Khan Sheikhoun were overwhelmed, and paramedics sent victims to medical facilities across rebel-held areas in northern Syria, as well as to Turkey.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group put the death toll at 86.
The attack happened in Syria’s Idlib province about 100 kilometers (60 miles) from the Turkish border, and the Turkish government – a close ally of Syria’s rebels – set up a decontamination center at a border crossing in Hatay province, where the victims were treated initially.
Turkish officials said nearly 60 victims of the attack were brought to Turkey for treatment and three of them died.
Victims showed signs of nerve gas exposure, including suffocation, foaming at the mouth, convulsions, constricted pupils and involuntary defecation, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Doctors Without Borders (DWB) said.
Paramedics used fire hoses to wash the chemicals from the bodies of victims.
Visuals from the scene were reminiscent of a 2013 nerve gas attack on the suburbs of Damascus that left hundreds dead.
In Turkey, Anadolu and the private DHA news agencies on Thursday quoted Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag as saying “it was determined after the autopsy that a chemical weapon was used.”
The Turkish Health Ministry said later that “according to the results of the first analysis, there were findings suggesting that the patients were exposed to chemical substance (sarin).”
WHO experts took part in the autopsies in the Turkish city of Adana late Wednesday, Turkish media reported.
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said it had “initiated contact” with Syrian authorities and its Technical Secretariat had been collecting and analysing information about the allegations.
“This is an ongoing investigation,” it said.
The area of Khan Sheikhoun is difficult to access, and as more time passes since the attack, it will be increasingly difficult to determine exactly what happened. – Fox News