Putrajaya to review laws on explosives, Najib appalled over Istanbul shooting

Jan 2, 2017
The Home Ministry plans to either update existing laws or enact a new one to govern explosives.
The Home Ministry plans to either update existing laws or enact a new one to govern explosives.

The Home Ministry will hold a review to either update existing laws governing explosives in the country or legislate a new statute, Bernama reported.

Deputy Minister Nur Jazlan Mohamed said the review would cover the aspects of manufacturing process, distribution, import and export of ammonium nitrate fertiliser, which was an active and basic ingredient to produce explosives.

“We will first carry out a review on the (existing) laws and if necessary, will formulate a new one,” he told reporters after visiting underprivileged families in Taman Perling on Sunday.

He said the government should monitor closely the manufacturing process, use and distribution of ammonium nitrate because so far there was no specific law related to production and use of the material in the country.

“We (Malaysia) do not have any explosives law at all. So, if necessary, the government we will come up with an explosives legislation to regulate the manufacturing process, distribution, import and export of ammonium nitrate,” he added.

Najib expressed shock over the Santa Claus gunman attack at a night club in Istanbul on New Year Day.
Najib expressed shock over the Santa Claus gunman attack at a night club in Istanbul on New Year Day.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Najib Razak has expressed shock over the gun attack in Istanbul Turkey on New Year Sunday.

He tweeted that Malaysia offered its condolences to Turkey and those affected by the attack.

“I’m appalled by the attack in Istanbul. Condolences from Malaysia to Turkey and those affected. It is all the more tragic that so many lives were lost as they came together to celebrate the New Year,” he said.

The terror attack at the Reina nightclub in Istanbul left at least 39 people dead and 69 injured.

The attack was reported to have taken place about 75 minutes into the New Year.

Malaysian Foreign Ministry said the government, through its embassy in Ankara, was working closely with Turkish authorities in determining if any Malaysians were among those affected by the attack.

“So far there is no confirmation that Malaysian casualties were reported by the local authorities.

“The Malaysian government wishes to remind Malaysian citizens residing and travelling to Istanbul and other major cities in Turkey to always give utmost priority to their personal safety and security, and to closely monitor and follow advisory issued by Turkey,” it said in a statement.

Malaysia also expressed its deepest condolences and sympathies to the families of the victims who lost their lives and the Turkish government, and wish those who have injured a speedy recovery.

SHARE