Another faction of MIC under the leadership of former party president G. Palanivel has requested from the Barisan Nasional leadership to contest in the 14th General Election (GE14).
At a press conference in Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur today, the team’s secretary-general K. Ramalingam said they have officially written to BN’s secretary-general Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor to notify their intentions.
“We have officially written to BN to inform our intentions and it is entirely up to the chairman Najib Razak to decide.
“We have explained in the letter of the current situation, which is the pending court case where we don’t know what the verdict will be,” he said.
Ramalingam added that as strong supporters of BN for decades, they intend to work towards the victory of the coalition.
“As for that, we requested from BN three parliamentary seats and 6 state seats.
“We are going to place all winnable candidates and we will make sure we win as the MIC’s grassroots support is still with Palanivel,” said Ramalingam.
The parliamentary seats he requested were MIC seats of Cameron Highlands in Pahang, Sungai Siput in Perak and Teluk Kemang in Negeri Sembilan.
As for the state assembly seats, he requested for Kahang in Johor, Bukit Selambau in Kedah, Bagan Dalam in Penang, Hutan Melintang in Perak, Ijok in Selangor and Gadek in Malacca which were also MIC seats.
“We hope that Prime Minister Najib Razak and the BN leadership will consider our request in order to win GE14,” he said.
The turmoil in MIC started when the MIC Central Working Committee (CWC) on June 16, 2015 ruled that Palanivel was no longer its president.
The current MIC president S. Subramaniam who was the deputy at that time took over the helm and said Palanivel had automatically lost his membership in MIC for not referring to the CWC first before proceeding with legal action on the Registrar of Societies (RoS).
Two judicial review applications were filed by Palanivel and four others, challenging the RoS’ fresh election directive.
The first application was filed on Feb 23, 2015, by Ramalingam, who was a CWC member then, naming the RoS and its director-general Mohammad Razin Abdullah as respondents.
The second application was filed on Feb 24 by Palanivel, former MIC vice-presidents S. Sothinathan and S. Balakrishnan, and former MIC secretary-general A. Prakash Rao.
They named the RoS and Home Minister as the first and second respondents, respectively.
In their application, Palanivel, Sothinathan, Balakrishnan and Prakash Rao sought, among others, a declaration that matters associated with the party elections were subject to the party’s constitution and not based on Ros’ views.
They sought a declaration that the outcome of the MIC election held during the party’s annual general assembly on Nov 30, 2013, was valid and enforceable.
The applicants also sought an injunction to prevent the respondents from taking any action or issuing any directive against MIC until the judicial review had been disposed of.
The Kuala Lumpur High Court on June 15, 2015, dismissed the two judicial review applications by them.
Justice Asmabi Mohamad ruled that there was no reason for the court to interfere with RoS’ decision as it was reasonable and rational pursuant to Section 16(1) and Section 18 (b)(1) of the Societies Act 1966.
The court ordered all five applicants to pay RM90,000 in costs to RoS, the Home Minister, and MIC vice-president M. Saravanan who is an intervenor in the applications.