No new leads in abducted pastor’s case, says IGP

 |Mar 20, 2017
File pic credit Facebook Khalid Abu Bakar.

Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar confirmed there have been no new leads with regards to the abduction of pastor Raymond Koh Keng Joo following widespread publicity surrounding the case to the point it interfered with investigations.

Admitting the case was now at a dead-end, the IGP repeated his statement that abduction cases involving ransom demands should not be given publicity so the police would have wider room to investigate and rescue the victims.

“When this matter is being talked about and speculated in the media, it endangers the victim.

“(And) I am worried, because now the investigation is at a dead-end because we have no further leads on the missing pastor and I believe this is because the case received too much publicity,” he told reporters in Kulai today.

Raymond Koh was reportedly abducted on Feb 13.

“To the media, individuals and NGOs who want to involve themselves in abduction cases, keep your mouths shut because it will only endanger the victims,” he said.

With regards to a man who was arrested earlier this month, the IGP said the man was merely an opportunist and was not involved in the abduction case.

“He just wanted to take advantage of the family because so much was being said here and there,” he added.

“Those involved in kidnapping pastor Raymond are clearly more cautious and when this story is being talked about all over the world, we don’t know what has happened to him (the victim),” Khalid said.

“There are no more leads now. I am with the family. We too are worried,” he said. – Bernama