The case of the assault and abuse of a teenager, T. Nhaveen is now being investigated as a murder after the victim was pronounced dead yesterday at 6pm.
Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar yesterday said police would change the status of the case after it was classified as murder (Section 302 of the Penal Code) following the boy’s death.
Previously, five men, aged between 16 and 20 years, who were linked to the case, were being investigated under Section 148 of the Penal Code for rioting with weapons.
In the incident on Saturday, Nhaveen, 18, was seriously injured after being hit by a group of men in Jalan Kaki Bukit, George Town leaving him brain dead other than injuries in the anal region.
He died yesterday after he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit of the Penang Hospital six days ago.
A friend, T. Previin, 19, was reportedly also beaten up by the group using helmets but managed to escape and sought help.
Following the incident, three teenagers, aged 18 to 19 years, who will complete their remands today will be remanded again while two form four and five students will also be brought to court for a remand order to facilitate investigations into the case.
Meanwhile, Nhaveen’s remains would be cremated at the Batu Gantung Crematorium at 2pm today after family members pay their last respects.
His mother, D. Shanti was seen to have fainted several times at the hospital due to shock and grief, and the single parent was then taken back to her home in Jelutong.
“We urge the police to take immediate action and investigate the case in detail. We want those involved to be arrested and subjected to legal action,” said Nhaveen’s uncle, R.Thiyagarajan, when met at the Penang Hospital’s Forensic Department yesterday.
After news of the death of the teenager who aspired to become a musician broke out, family members and friends began flooding the compound of Penang Hospital’s Forensic Department. – Bernama