KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Najib Razak says the Barisan Nasional (BN) government is in the midst of constructing the second route of the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) Sungai Buloh-Serdang-Putrajaya (SSP) line.
The prime minister said the government’s work had not ended with the completion of the MRT Sungai Buloh-Kajang (SBK) line which began operations last month.
“Our focus now is to deliver the second line to the people. The MRT SSP line will benefit some two million residents from Sungai Buloh to Putrajaya,” he said in a blog post yesterday.
Najib said research had shown that the 52.2km MRT SSP line with 37 stations would shuttle some 529,000 commuters on a daily basis when it begins operations in the second quarter of 2022.
“This is another project awaited by the people and I believe we will succeed once again, InsyaAllah (God willing),” he said.
Najib also said he was delighted by the positive feedback from commuters using the MRT SBK line which began operations on July 17.
“Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah), all gave positive feedback. In fact, they were proud of the hard work of Malaysians who planned and built this world-class public transportation project,” he said.
Najib also hit out at opposition leaders who had claimed that the cost of building the MRT line would be RM100 billion.
“It’s ridiculous. So, can we believe them? Just like other accusations, this was just a tactic to confuse and scare the public,” he said.
Najib said the government had not forgotten the Bumiputera empowerment agenda in this particular project.
“About 50% of the work was given to Bumiputera companies.”
Najib said this was one of the government’s efforts to promote the development of Bumiputera companies, apart from giving them the opportunity to prove that they are up to the task.
“Just look at the results, proving that the Bumiputeras and young Malays can deliver, thus changing the perception towards Bumiputera and Malay contractors,” he said. – Bernama