MH370: Australia offers help for search to resume

 |Jun 2, 2017
File pic.

Australia stands ready to do ‘everything it can’ should there be circumstances that the search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 could be resumed.

In a report by The Australian, the country’s Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull is said to have discussed with his Malaysian counterpart Najib Razak the circumstances in which the search could restart.

A spokesman for Turnbull was quoted as saying that the latter has raised the issue with ‘his Malaysian counterpart everytime they speak’.

“Malaysia is the lead nation in the investigation into the disappearance of MH370, but Australia stands ready to assist in any way it can,” the spokesman was quoted as saying by The Australian.

However, the online portal reported that a government source said Turnbull was not pressuring Malaysia to restart the search, but it was more of a measure to keep ‘MH370 as a frontline issue’.

Turnbull has also taken up the cause of the Australian families of MH370 victims with Najib.

The Australian reported that Turnbull had received a letter from one of the missing passenger’s wife, Danica Weeks who had called on him to press Najib to restart the search.

The search for MH370 involving Malaysia, Australia and China in the southern Indian Ocean ended in January this year.

In a joint statement earlier this year, the three governments said a new search would take place should there be new evidence indicating the specific location of the aircraft.

The aircraft went missing on March 8, 2014 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. It was carrying 239 passengers and crew members.