The man who has been dubbed as possibly ‘Canada’s worst rapist’ is expected to return to his home country, Malaysia this Sunday.
According to the Toronto Star, Selva Kumar Subbiah was ordered to be held in custody until Sunday, afterwhich he will be escorted back here by three guards from the Canada Border Services Agency.
This is after Selva Kumar, 56, has completed his 24 year jail sentence for drugging and sexually assaulting 30 women.
At the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada hearing on Monday, Selva Kumar was told by the board’s chair Andrew Laut that he is ‘the worst offender and the highest risk that has ever come before me in my career’.
Selva Kumar also could not apply for refugee status as he was declared a ‘danger to the public’ in November 1994, according to Laut.
Previously, Selva Kumar was said to have argued that he would be the victim of discrimination in Malaysia because he was a Jewish.
At Monday’s hearing, however, Selva Kumar told Laut, “I’m ready to leave, sir.”
Selva Kumar left for Canada in 1980 and has not returned since.
Toronto Star also reported that the hearing was informed that Malaysian officials have already approved a flight permit for him.
Malaysia Outlook contacted the Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar to get his comment on the situation here, when Selva Kumar returns.
“He is a free man,” Khalid replied via WhatsApp.
When asked if there would be any supervision, Khalid said, “We will see.”
On Jan 18, the Malay Mail Online reported Deputy Home Minister Nur Jazlan Mohamed as saying that Selva Kumar has no criminal records here and has the right to return to his home country.
“He didn’t commit the crime here. Most we can do is to put him on the watch-list,” he was quoted as saying.