Liow receives letters from MH370 families

 |Jan 23, 2017
ASGA chairman Sheryl Keen (centre) hands over letters from MH370 families as well as the public to Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai (right) in Perth. - Pic credit Facebook MH370 Families.
ASGA chairman Sheryl Keen (centre) hands over letters from MH370 families as well as the public to Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai (right) in Perth. – Pic credit Facebook MH370 Families.

Chairman of the Aircrash Support Group of Australia (ASGA) Sheryl Keen met with Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai this morning in Perth.

During the meeting, Keen handed over letter received from family members of the victims of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 as well as the public.

In an update on the Voice370 Facebook page, Keen was said to have ‘conveyed the hopes of the MH370 families and the public for the continuation of the search for MH370’.

Voice370 is a support association for the families of the passengers and crew on board the ill-fated MH370 which disappeared on March 8, 2014 en route from the KL International Airport (KLIA) to Beijing, China.

Liow is in Perth to meet his counterparts from China and Australia and he earlier told Reuters he would be meeting relatives of the victims of MH370 in the Western Australian state capital.

In a statement yesterday Voice370 said, “The next of kin have launched a petition and many together with members of the flying public have written personal letters to be hand delivered to the three Ministers during the visit,” referring to Liow, Australia’s Infrasructure and Transport Minister Darren Chester and China’s Transport Minister Li Xiaopeng.

With regards to the online petition, Voice370 said it was to urge for a reversal of the decision to suspend the underwater search in the Indian Ocean for the missing aircraft.

Reiterating their dissapointment that the search was suspended, Voice370 appealed for the Malaysian government urgently consult and reconsider the suspension, in light of the joint activity the three countries are having in Perth.

The joint activity includes welcoming the return of the crew members of the Fugro Equator search vessel that has been involved in the search mission for MH370.

China’s Xinhua News Agency reported Chester as saying that although the aircraft has yet to be found, it was ‘very important’ to thank the crew for their tireless efforts.

“This has been an extraordinary search effort in some of the most inhospitable seas on Earth,” Chester was quoted as saying to the press.

However, Chester noted that while the aircraft may still be missing, this did not indicate failure.

“It indicates that the aircraft is not in that 120,000 square kilometres search area,” he said, adding that eventhough the underwater search has been suspended, work is still being carried out to look for the aircraft by assessing and analysing satellite photos and imagery as well as debris which may have washed ashore.

In a statement from MH370 Tripartite Joint Communique last week, it was announced that the last search vessel has left the underwater search area as decision was made to suspend the underwater search mission.

“We remain hopeful that new information will come to light and that at some point in the future the aircraft will be located,” the statement noted.