Ipoh hospital male ward patients evacuated after short circuit

Nov 10, 2016
Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the short circuit which happened at 11.16pm, originated from a wall plug beside the beds and no one was injured during the incident.
Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the short circuit which happened at 11.16pm, originated from a wall plug beside a bed but no one was injured during the incident.

The 5B male medical ward patients at Hospital Raja Permaisuri Bainun, Ipoh, Perak was evacuated following a short circuit last night.

Perak health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the short circuit which happened at 11.16pm, originated from a wall plug beside the beds.

He said none of the patients or hospital staff were injured in the incident.

“The hospital has moved the patients to another ward while the wiring and safety are being checked,” Bernama reported as he saying from Ipoh hospital today.

Meanwhile, Ipoh Fire and Rescue Department chief P. Samasuvam praised the hospital’s staff for their swift action in cutting off the electricity and gas supply to the ward.

He said such an action was crucial as it prevented the sparks due to the short circuit from becoming even worse.

“The department received the distress call at 1.17am. We found that the patients had been moved as soon as the firemen arrived three minutes later.

“We also discovered traces of fire which had been put out by the hospital’s staff using fire extinguisher,” he said, adding that the ward was now safe for its daily operations.

“It is now up to the hospital’s engineering department to determine when exactly the operations of the ward can be reinstated,” he said.

SHARE