Floods worsen in Kelantan, 3,774 in 40 relief centres

Jan 3, 2017
Floods in Kelantan has increased and 3,774 evacuees has been recorded in 40 relief centres ... (file pic)
Floods in Kelantan has increased and 3,774 evacuees have been recorded in 40 relief centres … (file pic)

The floods took a turn for the worse overnight in Kelantan, sending 3,774 people from 1,314 families to relief centres as at 8am, up from the 1,568 people from 434 families as at 9pm yesterday.

Kelantan Civil Defence Force director Zainuddin Hussin said today there was a drastic increase in the number of evacuees in the Pasir Mas district, to 2,322 people from 936 families compared to 241 people from 85 families last night.

Kuala Krai had 371 evacuees from 99 families, Jeli 200 evacuees (47 families), Tanah Merah 533 (144), Machang 321 (83) and Pasir Puteh 27 (five), he said when contacted.

Zainuddin said 40 relief centres had been opened in the six districts to accommodate the evacuees.

He attributed the rise in the number of evacuees in Pasir Mas and Tanah Merah to the flow of river water downstream from the upper reaches as well as the rain, which was heavy at times.

Meanwhile, according to the state government’s portal http://ebanjir.kelantan.gov.my, the level of a few rivers were high as at 8am.

Sungai Galas at Dabong, Kuala Krai, measured 34.20 metres, on the alert level (danger level is 38 metres).

Sungai Lebir at Tualang, Gua Musang, measured 32.27 metres (danger level is 35 metres).

The level of Sungai Kelantan at the Krai Steps, Kuala Krai, was 23.44 metres (danger level is 25 metres) and at the Guillemard Bridge, Tanah Merah, 17.31 metres (danger level is 16 metres).

Sungai Golok at Rantau Panjang had risen to 10.30 metres, past the danger level of nine metres. – Bernama 

SHARE