The RM50 million allocation for Chinese primary schools will be received by the Education Ministry within the next two weeks, said MCA deputy president Wee Ka Siong.
Wee said the allocation would be made available by Jan 19, at the latest, reported The Star Online.
He added that the ministry would then start disbursing the money to the 834 Chinese primary schools nationwide.
The Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department also asked stakeholders to be patient as the ministry needed about two weeks to finalise the paperwork before the schools received their money.
Chinese media had, late last year, raised concerns that the schools had not received the allocation from Budget 2016.
The allocation was for maintenance works.
Subsequently, MCA president Liow Tiong Lai discussed the issue with Prime Minister Najib Razak and Education Minister Mahdzir Khalid on Wednesday and later said the PM had given his assurance that it would be settled as soon as possible.