East Coast floods: Number of evacuees in Kelantan exceeds 4,000

Jan 3, 2017
4,000 people have been evacuated from their homes in Kelantan with additional 3 new relief centres being opened.
4,000 people have been evacuated from their homes in Kelantan with additional 3 new relief centres being opened as at noon.

Kelantan saw the number of flood evacuees rising to 4,208 from 1,452 families as at noon, up from the 3,774 evacuees from 1,314 families this morning.

Kelantan Civil Defence Force director Zainuddin Hussin said nine more relief centres were opened by noon, totalling to 49 centres set up so far.

Three of the nine centres were in the district of Tanah Merah, two each in Kuala Krai and Machang and one each in Pasir Mas and Jeli.

Up to 2,473 of the evacuees (1,004 families) were in Pasir Mas, 611 evacuees (163 families) in Kuala Krai, 455 (114) in Tanah Merah, 383 (101) in Machang, 259 (65) in Jeli and 27 (five) in Pasir Puteh, he said when contacted.

Zainuddin said the water from puffed-up rivers were flowing downstream and causing floods along the way.

The levels of two rivers have exceeded the danger point as at noon, according to the state government’s portal, http://ebanjir.kelantan.gov.my.

Sungai Kelantan at the Guillemard Bridge in Tanah Merah measured 17.64 metres compared to 17.31 metres this morning. Its danger point is 16 metres.

The level of Sungai Golok at Rantau Panjang was 10.35 metres compared to 10.30 metres (danger level is at nine metres).

Sungai Lebir at Tualang in Gua Musang measured 32.54 metres, up from 32.27 metres (danger level is at 35 metres) and the level of Sungai Kelantan at the Krai Steps in Kuala Krai stood at 23.67 metres compared to 23.44 metres this morning (danger level is at 25 metres).

The portal reported that the level of Sungai Galas at Dabong in Kuala Krai had dropped slightly, to 34.19 metres from 34.20 metres this morning. The danger level of the river is 38 metres. – Bernama 

SHARE