Cops bust bank card syndicate

 |Jul 3, 2017

A bank card syndicate which has conned people of more than RM2.7 million by impersonating Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) and the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) has been busted following a raid in a bungalow in Selangor recently.

Among those arrested in the 8am raid were three women aged between 17 and 42 along with 47 others.

Some 82 people have been said to have fallen victims to the syndicate dubbed the Macau Scam with reported total losses of RM2.74 million through random calls as their modus operandi.

Penang Commercial Crime Investigation Department Chief Assistant Commisioner Abdul Ghani Ahmad said that the syndicate operated by tricking potential victims into transferring an amount of money to another account after “notifying” them that their accounts had been hacked.

The suspect, he added, would assure the victims that the money transferred would be returned.

“The suspect would also convince the victim to contact the commercial crime investigation department of the police force and even provided them with a number to call which would actually reach another syndicate member.

“The whole process was so convincing that the victims would not realise they were being conned,” he told a press conference at the Penang police headquarters in George Town today.

A script, believed to have been used to con victims was also found during the raid along with 31 international passports belonging to different individuals, five mobile phones of various makes, one laptop and three files containing employee details.

According to Abdul Ghani, the first police report on such a case was made by a woman at the Balik Pulau police station on May 26. This prompted police to launch a crackdown against the syndicate.

The woman was said to have lost RM5,000 to the syndicate.

Abdul Ghani also added that the employees of the syndicate, paid between RM10,000 and RM15,000 were aware of the modus operandi of the syndicate and would be sent overseas such as the United Kingdom, Cambodia, Thailand, and Japan to look for more potential victims.

All the suspects, he said, were now being remanded for three days to assist in investigations under Section 420 of the Penal Code.