Bukit Aman derails plot to attack Batu Caves, entertainment outlets and police stations

 |Aug 31, 2016
Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said the three suspects had been receiving orders from IS militant Mohamad Wanndy Mohamad Jedi.
Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said the three suspects had been receiving orders from IS militant Mohamad Wanndy Mohamad Jedi.

Three suspected Islamic State (IS) militants who were planning attacks on entertainment outlets, a Hindu temple in Batu Caves and police stations were arrested by the police.

They were planning to attack their targets using grenades and firearms on the eve of National Day.

Bukit Aman Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division picked them up at Kuala Lumpur, Selangor and Pahang between Aug 27 and Aug 29

Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said the three suspects had been receiving orders from IS militant Mohamad Wanndy Mohamad Jedi.

“The first suspect a 20-year-old man was detained in Selangor on Aug 27 with a K75 grenade and a pistol along with 9mm bullets.

“We believe he obtained the weapons from a middleman,” Khalid said in a statement on Wednesday.

The two other suspects, aged 27 and 20, were detained on Aug 29.

“They were planning to go to Syria once they managed to attack the targets,” Khalid said.

The 20-year-old suspect, who is a lorry driver, was detained in Selangor last Saturday, he added.

Khalid said the explosive and firearm were given to the suspect by a courier of Mohamad Wanndy.

They were detained for terrorism-related offences under Chapter VIA of the Penal Code and will be investigated according to procedures under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012.