Borussia Dortmund vs Monaco Champions League clash postponed after blast

Apr 12, 2017

The Champions League quarter-final between Borussia Dortmund and Monaco was postponed last night following three explosions near the Dortmund team bus.

Defender Marc Bartra needed surgery after suffering a broken bone in his wrist and catching fragments of glass in his arm when a window on the bus shattered as the German team were leaving their local hotel ahead of the first-leg tie.

The police were not ruling out a terrorist incident and a statement said: “This was an attack with serious explosives. The bombs may have been hidden in a hedge.”

A letter was found near the scene ‘taking responsibility’ for the attack.

The match has been rescheduled for 5.45pm on Wednesday.

A Dortmund insider told Sportsmail: “We heard what sounded like a very large firecracker and the glass shattering. Bartra had cuts to his hands but the other players seemed OK — just shaken up.”

Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke added: “When the bus moved out of the hotel parking lot, three explosive devices were triggered. The team is totally shocked.”

It is thought the devices were pipe bombs.

Watzke said there was “no alternative” to playing the match on Wednesday as Monaco have a Ligue 1 game on Saturday before the return next week.

“The players are in shock. We must get through this, but it will not be easy. Borussia Dortmund come closer together in extreme situations and I’m sure the players will feel that.”

Fifa President Gianni Infantino spoke in the aftermath of the explosion to condemn the attack.

“The thoughts of every one of us at FIFA are with the people of Dortmund, and the fans of both Borussia Dortmund and Monaco following today’s (Tuesday’s) troubling events.

“We are closely monitoring the condition of Dortmund’s Marc Bartra, and wish him a speedy recovery from his injuries.

“Fifa condemns the incidents in Dortmund. We are all awaiting further details of the incident.”

Marc Bartra sustained injuries in the blast.

Wolves manager Paul Lambert, who lifted the Champions League with Borussia Dortmund in 1997, was inside the stadium working as a pundit for BT Sport.

He said the right decision had been made.

“It looks like the game will be called off and quite right so. It’s really uncertain what has happened but you’ve got to call it off,” he said.

Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Buerki said: “There was a huge bang, literally an explosion.”

Buerki told Swiss daily Blick that Bartra was hit by shards of glass from a broken window.

He said players ducked for cover, wondering if there would be more explosions.

As news reached the Signal Iduna Park stadium, Monaco fans chanted “Dortmund, Dortmund” in support of their hosts.

The German club, who used to be managed by Jurgen Klopp, appealed for locals to find beds for the night for Monaco fans.

The French club are giving their supporters €80 (£68) each towards hotel rooms. – Daily Mail