The Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) beheaded a local captive in Sulu of Southern Philippines after its ultimatum to comply with their ransom demand lapsed Wednesday afternoon, authorities said on Thursday.
According to China’s Xinhua news agency, the kidnap victim identified as Patrick Almodovar, 18, a native of Jolo, Sulu, was abducted July 16 this year just outside their home.
Police said the victim was executed about 3pm Wednesday, the same date of the ultimatum imposed by the Abu Sayyaf for the victim’s family to comply with its 1-million-peso ransom.
The Abu Sayyaf group since last week posted its video on social network site with Almodovar speaking in Tausug dialect pleading for help from Sulu Governor Abdusakur “Totoh” Tan II to help him pay the ransom as the militants have only given until Aug 24 exactly 3pm to comply with the demand.
Maj Filemon Tan Jr., spokesman of Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom), said reports reaching them disclosed a decapitated head believed to be of Almodovar was recovered by the police elements about 7.30pm Wednesday night at Kilometer 2, Katian village, Indanan town.
Tan said the decapitated head was wrapped in a plastic bag and was left behind by three unidentified men onboard a motorcycle.
Tan said recovered decapitated head was brought to the Indanan police and being processed by the Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) to determine if it belonged with Almodovar.
Police and military forces were still searching for the headless remains of Almodovar.
It will be recalled that three hostages, including two Indonesians and a Filipino woman, either escaped or were released since last week and on Monday respectively from the hands of the Abu Sayyaf group.
According to Xinhua the Abu Sayyaf militants are still holding captive 16 foreigners, including a Dutch national, Norwegian, seven Indonesians and five Malaysians. The Abu Sayyaf group is also holding six local hostages.
“The AFP, together with every sensible and peace loving Filipino, including our Muslim brothers whom we work with in peace and development efforts, condemn this barbaric murder perpetrated by this terror group,” Tan said.
“The beheading of an innocent man done by the ASG is an absolute affront to the peace loving Moros in the Philippines,” he added.
According to Tan, the military exhausts all necessary efforts and intensified focused military operations are being conducted along with the combined efforts from our soldiers, civilian counterparts, and the community will continue until all victims are rescued.