KUALA LUMPUR: Commuters will enjoy a 50 per cent discount on fares for the Prasarana Malaysia Berhad managed Mass Rapid Transit (MRT), Light Rail Transit (LRT), Monorel as well as Rapid Transit bus services beginning tomorrow until Aug 31.
This was announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak at the launch of the MRT Sungai Buloh – Kajang (SBK) Line’s second phase at the Tun Razak Exchange station, here, this morning.
With the second phase from Semantan to Kajang set to open to the public at 4pm today, commuters can utilise the newly officiated line for free until midnight.
“To celebrate this historic achievement, the public can use this MRT for free today,” he said.
Najib also informed that the MRT SBK line project was completed at the cost of RM21 billion.
“The initial cost for this project was RM23 billion and we managed to save RM2 billion,” he said, adding that the second phase was also completed 2 weeks earlier than the original schedule.
“The MRT service will make our economy more dynamic,” Najib said, stating that it can help reduce cost of living as well the cost of maintaning private vehicles.
“This project has also opened up 140,000 jobs for the rakyat,” he added.
Speaking on public transport integration for Kuala Lumpur, Najib reiterated that this will happen by 2027.
Apart from that, the prime minister said he was proud of the involvement of Bumiputera contractors in the MRT project.
“The best Bumiputera (contractors) in terms of achievement and practicality were selected to be part of this project, and not just selecting cronies,” he said.
The first phase of the MRT – SBK line opened in December last year involving 12 stations from Sungai Buloh to Semantan.
The second phase involves 19 stations from Muzium Negara to Kajang, with seven being underground stations. – MO