KUALA LUMPUR: Recent allegations by a former minister about the privatisation of military land were described yesterday as being intended an attack on the prime minister, Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein reiterated that the allegations were “baseless and a plain lie”.
“I hope the relevant parties will respond with facts rather than leaving it to the prime minister and me alone,” he said after launching a military housing scheme in Sungai Besi yesterday.
Former trade minister Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz had made the allegations on Saturday in an open letter. She alleged that Najib, the then defence minister in 2008, had recommended that more than 40,000ha of land belonging to the defence ministry or armed forces be privatised to a company owned by three people.
Rafidah had claimed the proposal was approved by the Cabinet and had been implemented.
However, Hishammuddin responded by saying the allegations were lies.
At yesterday’s launch of a housing scheme, he said 3,500 homes would be built in Sungai Besi to ensure more armed forces personnel and veterans could own homes.
Army personnel would be allocated 1,800 units, with 600 units each to the navy and the air force, and 500 units for the defence ministry’s civilian staff.
“Each house, measuring between 1,000 and 1,200 sq ft, is priced between RM150,000 and RM250,000 per unit, much lower than the market price.”
He said his ministry planned to build more than 25,000 units in 13 selected locations throughout the country by 2030. – Bernama