Tengku Adnan: Don’t fall victim to sabotage during polls season

 |Apr 6, 2018
File pic credit Facebook Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

PUTRAJAYA: Barisan Nasional (BN) members have been told to be careful of internal and external threats posed by certain quarters who are deliberately looking for any slip-up to sabotage them during the election season.

BN secretary-general Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said it was a problem that the BN candidates had to face ahead of the upcoming 14th general election (GE14).

On the arrest of Bandar Tun Razak Umno chief Datuk Rizalman Mokhtar over drug abuse, Tengku Adnan, who is also Umno secretary-general, said he was awaiting the investigation report from the authorities before taking further action at the party level.

“I know there are elements of sabotage. Three weeks ago, Titiwangsa (Umno) chief Datuk Seri Johari Abdul Ghani fell victim, now it’s Rizalman,” apparently referring to banners that appeared in the constituency to reject Johari as a GE14 candidate.

“After this, we don’t know who else may become a target. We call this season the ‘silly time in politics’,” he said.

Tengku Adnan, who is also federal territories minister, was met after launching the Secondary School Food Assistance Programme at SMK Presint 18(1) here yesterday.

Rizalman was arrested during a raid at a nightclub in Jalan Imbi, Kuala Lumpur, on Monday.

At a press conference yesterday, Rizalman claimed that he was sabotaged as he had never been involved in drugs, and was confident it was a trap to ruin his reputation.

Asked whether the incident was due to an internal threat within BN, Tengku Adnan, who did not rule out the possibility, said: “It’s a problem, both from the inside and outside. The opposition also knows that the Federal Territories machinery is moving smoothly and well.

“The momentum has shaken the opposition and they will find ways (to discredit BN).”

On the Food Assistance Programme, Tengku Adnan, who is the chairman of the Federal Territories Foundation, said a total of 1,600 students from 105 secondary schools in Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan had been identified to receive free nutritious meals, with a total allocation of RM10 million.

He said the foundation would provide special containers to canteen operators to be distributed to the children.

Each meal contains nutritious and balanced food so that students can focus better in the classroom and improve their academic performance.

He said the programme proved that the BN government, through various agencies, was always working to assist and provide the best service to the people, regardless of race, religion or political ideology. – Bernama