PUTRAJAYA: The Registrar of Societies (RoS) has ordered Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) to temporarily disband for 30 days.
According to The Star Online, its director-general Surayati Ibrahim said PPBM had failed to fulfil the RoS’ Feb 28 notice requesting for documents and details regarding the party.
At a press conference here today, Surayati said the RoS served PPBM with the temporary disbandment notice under Section 14 of the Societies Act 1966 at 12.30pm today.
PPBM, co-founded by former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, is barred from using its logo or conduct any party activity during its disbandment effective immediately.
“Pribumi is not allowed to conduct any activities during the 30 days. The RoS will take further action if it infringes upon the order,” Surayati said, declining to comment on what further action the RoS will take.
PPBM has 30 days to fulfil the RoS’ request for more documents, failing which, the it will be permanently disbanded.
The Pakatan Harapan component party can lodge an appeal within the 30 days.
Meanwhile, Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz likened PPBM to a “mosquito” party, saying its “bite” is unlikely to affect the country’s politics.
According to Malay Mail Online, he claimed that PPBM would have no chance of winning the elections even if Umno were the one to be deregistered.
“It is like getting a mosquito bite. It feels good to scratch a bite, but what effect will it have otherwise?” he told reporters at the launch of Malaysia Smart Tourism 4.0 powered by Chinese tech and entertainment titan, Tencent.
The Umno supreme council member said PPBM only had itself to blame for its deregistration.
“No one set the terms, they set their own terms and conditions in their own constitution.
“They failed to comply with their own constitution and no one is exempt from the law,” the Padang Rengas MP added.
Surayati declined to comment on claims this was a political ploy to bar PPBM from contesting in the 14th General Election, claiming the RoS was acting on complaints from party members.
The disbandment came as Pakatan filed a judicial review on Feb 21 in its bid to obtain a court order to compel the RoS to respond to its letter to become a registered coalition.
In its affidavit, Pakatan it wrote a letter to the RoS D-G on July 28 last year to register the coalition and again on Aug 21 and most recently Feb 6, 2018, asking for a response.
Pakatan, comprising PKR, DAP, PPBM and Amanah, claimed that it did not get a reply and is seeking a mandamus order for the respondent to register it as a coalition under the Societies Act 1966.
The Home Ministry had earlier said ongoing investigations into PPBM due to complaints received over its AGM is holding up Pakatan’s registration as a formal coalition.
Without RoS’ approval of its registration, Pakatan will not be able to use its official logo to contest in the polls. It will likely use PKR’s logo to contest in GE14.