PUTRAJAYA: Deputy Prime Minister Datu Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said yesterday the Registrar of Societies (RoS) was acting professionally in handling the issue over the registration of the opposition Pakatan Harapan pact.
Zahid, who is also the home minister, said the registration of the pact was linked to the ongoing RoS investigation into the position of PPBM.
He said the settlement of the application for PH registration could not be done in isolation of the PPBM issue because PPBM is one of the four component parties of PH.
“As explained by the RoS director-general, the scrutiny does not just cover the PH application for registration but also takes into account the complaints RoS has received from PPBM members.
“PPBM is one of the component parties of PH.
“As such, I believe RoS is only being fair and discharging its responsibilities professionally,” he said at a press conference after Saudi Arabian ambassador to Malaysia Mahmoud Hussien Saeed Qattan called on him at his office here.
Zahid was asked to comment on several opposition leaders filing a case against the RoS on Feb 21 alleging that it had failed to respond to the PH application for registration.
A day later, about 1,000 grassroots members and several former senior PPBM leaders gathered in front of the RoS head office here urging for action against PPBM for alleged violation of the party constitution.
Zahid said he had never intervened because the action by the RoS was operational in nature and did not touch on the policies of the ministry.
Asked about the issue over billionaire Robert Kuok, he advised all quarters not to politicise the matter and to respect the tycoon’s statement that he had a deep appreciation for the opportunities he had in the country.
It had been alleged that multi-billionaire Kuok was funding various political parties to overthrow the government, and several leaders then criticised Kuok, but Kuok’s office issued a statement to deny the allegations. – Bernama