Man held on suspicion of getting RM19m to ‘settle’ MACC’s Penang probe

 |Feb 28, 2018

KUALA LUMPUR: THE Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission has detained a businessman on suspicion of accepting a RM19 million bribe to close investigations into the RM6.3 billion Penang mega project.

The 37-year-old suspect is believed to have accepted the money from a company after he said he was able to “settle” the case.

A source said the company paid RM19 million in stages in July and August last year.

“MACC is conducting investigations into the feasibility studies of the mega project in Penang, and the suspect is believed to have convinced a company that he can get the probe shut down and ‘settled’.

“The first RM2 million was paid in July last year at the suspect’s house,” the source told Bernama yesterday.

The source said a second payment of RM15 million was made in the same month, and the third third and final payment was made last August.

“The suspect was detained at the MACC headquarters in Putrajaya at 3.48pm after he was called to give a statement relating to the case.”

MACC senior director of investigations Simi Abd Ghani, when contacted, confirmed the arrest.

“The suspect will be brought to the Putrajaya court tomorrow (today) for a remand application.”

The Penang tunnel and highways project has been bogged by controversy, including the high cost of its feasibility studies as well as payment made using state government land.

Residents, too, have protested against it, as they are worried about the project’s economic, social and environmental impact. – Bernama