Jason Lo admits Dubai arrest but denies it was over drugs

 |Nov 10, 2017

PETALING JAYA: Although Tune Talk chief executive officer Jason Lo has admitted being arrested in Dubai in September, he denied it had anything to do with possession of drugs.

According to The Edge Markets, Lo said he was sent to a police lock-up after he tried to help his friend who had tried to break up a fight.

“I landed in Dubai, at the airport my friend tries to stop a fight. Then he gets hit and I jump the guy who turns out to be an undercover cop,” he said.

This was after a Harian Metro report that a CEO of a Malaysian telecommunication company had been arrested at the Dubai International Airport shortly after arrival from Amsterdam.

The paper, quoting a source, reported that authorities found drugs hidden in his luggage, and detained him for two weeks at the airport’s detention centre before he was charged and sent to the Al-Aweer central prison to serve his sentence.

Lo said his time in lock-up was prolonged because the undercover cop failed to give his statement.

“I go to lock up and this guy stalls his statement for weeks. It was horrible. Not as horrible as coming out and hearing rumours of being locked up for every other reason under the sun,” Lo, who is a singer, said.

When Free Malaysia Today contacted Dubai police, the English news portal was asked to contact them “via the diplomatic channels”.

Upon checking with Wisma Putra, the Home Ministry and the Malaysian police, FMT drew a blank, with each saying they had no details on the case.

The arrest was reportedly on Sep 18, a day before Dubai hosted an annual telecommunication conference, “Telecoms World Middle East 2017”.

Lo was the sole Malaysian speaker listed on the conference website.

Tony Fernandes, whose Tune Group owns Tune Talk, rubbished news of Lo’s detention.

“No such thing… Where do you get this rubbish?” he told FMT.

Fernandes said he had spoken with Lo. “He took a break. He’s going to be doing something different for me.”