7 dead in Penang floods so far

 |Nov 6, 2017

GEORGE TOWN: The Penang floods have claimed a total of seven victims so far.

Timur Laut district police chief ACP Anuar Omar said the bodies of the latest two victims were found in a house in Jalan Mata Kucing, Air Itam, and in front of Stadium Bandaraya, here.

“The sixth victim, identified as Tan Ah Peow, 45, was found by his neighbour at 2pm today while the seventh victim, also a man, was found by a member of the public at 2.40pm.”

Anuar said no identification papers were found on the body of the shirtless man, who was found covered in mud.

The two bodies have been sent to Penang Hospital for a post-mortem.

Earlier, four bodies of senior citizens were found in their homes while the body of a Bangladeshi man was found in a house destroyed by a falling tree.

Anuar said police received information on the discovery of a woman’s body, identified as Lau Guek Jee, 64, in her home at Lilitan Hargreaves, Jelutong, here about 11am today.

She was alone at the time.

“We believe the victim was not able to flee during the floods and her body was discovered by a neighbour.”

A man, Chong Sin Thon, 97, was found dead in his home on Jalan Shaik Madar, Air Itam, here about 1pm yesterday.

Anuar said the elderly man lived alone in the house and his body was found by a neighbour who came to check on him.

This morning, the bodies of Amanullah Shabib Kalandir, 75, from Jalan P Ramlee, and Chew Eng Lean, 78, from Jalan Perak, were found in their homes. They are believed to have drowned.

Almost the whole of Penang was hit by flash floods and scores of trees were uprooted in a thunderstorm which began at 2pm on Saturday and lasted until 5am yesterday morning.

The number of flood victims in Penang as of 10pm rose to 3,779 people compared to 3,365 people yesterday evening.

State Secretary Farizan Darus said they were housed at 56 relief centres in five districts. – Bernama

SHARE