PM: Opposition claim of 300,000 stateless Indians a fairy tale

 |Nov 1, 2017

KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak yesterday rubbished a claim by the opposition that some 300,000 Malaysian Indians were without citizenship papers.

Najib said the claim was a lie because only about 2,500 citizenship applications had been received from Malaysian Indians, including those born before independence and whose births had not been registered.

The MyDaftar initiative which covered every part of the country had not found 300,000 stateless Malaysian Indians as claimed by the opposition, he said, adding that the matter had even been brought to the attention of the UK Parliament.

“This is a fairy tale. We only have 2,500 applications (for citizenship from Malaysian Indians).

“It is just like the claim that we brought in 40,000 Bangladeshi voters in the last general election, that the country would go bankrupt, and many other baseless stories,” he said when handing over citizenship documents to Malaysian Indians here.

Also present at the event were Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor, MIC president Datuk Seri Dr S Subramaniam and leaders from MyPPP, All Malaysian Indian Progressive Front and Makkal Sakti. – Bernama