Pahang government accepts MACC’s seizure of bauxite stockpiles

 |Aug 14, 2017
Pic credit Clean Malaysia

KUANTAN: The Pahang government has no objection to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) confiscating bauxite stockpiles amounting to over 10 million tonnes.

Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob said MACC had solid grounds for action to resolve the illegal bauxite mining in the state.

“Since the moratorium was implemented, everything is controlled by the federal government, namely the natural resources and environment ministry… so let them manage,” he told reporters after launching the Pahang Umno Youth election machinery here yesterday.

Adnan was commenting on a statement by MACC deputy chief commissioner (Operations) Azam Baki, who on Saturday said the agency would seize the bauxite stockpile to prevent anyone from removing the materials for any purpose.

Since the beginning of last week, MACC has been actively investigating the bauxite mining and conducting special operations.

This came after the discovery that mining activity was ongoing at Bukit Goh and Bukit Sagu here despite the moratorium which was implemented on Jan 15 last year and only expires on Dec 31.

On a related matter, Adnan said there was no connection between the arrest of 10 Pahang Land and Mine Office (PTG) personnel by MACC for investigation into illegal bauxite mining activities and the department not signing the Corruption-Free Pledge (IBR).

“The IBR is still new and we (the state government) have just signed it. We cannot blame anybody in this matter. I hope after the state government has signed the IBR, other agencies will follow. But do not link the MACC investigation with the PTG not signing the IBR,” he said.

On Aug 3, Pahang MACC director Alias Salim confirmed that the Pahang PTG had yet to sign the IBR. The statement was issued when the PTG personnel were arrested for their alleged involvement in bribery to protect illegal bauxite miners. – Bernama

 

 

SHARE