A Kelantan based Islamic State (IS) terror cell with arms store was smashed when police from the counter-terrorism (E8) division arrested six people in a nationwide swoop.
The group have been smuggling weapons from southern Thailand and were preparing attacks in Malaysia as well as abroad.
Two members of the terror cell were arrested in Kelantan on March 24 and March 25 while another managed to escape to Golok, Inspector General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said.
Four other IS militants were detained in Malacca, Penang, Johor and Selangor in a major swoop by the E8 Division between March 24 and April 25.
Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar confirmed the arrest of the two, aged 26 and 41, in Kelantan, The Star Online reported.
“We believe they were involved in smuggling weapons from southern Thailand for the terror group,” he said.
Khalid said police were also looking for Muhammad Muzaffa Arieff Junaidi, 27, from Kampung Gertak, Rantau Panjang, Kelantan, the third member of the terror cell.
“We believe he belonged to the same terror cell as the two who were arrested in Kelantan.
“He managed to escape to southern Thailand via Sungai Golok, with an M4 Carbine rifle and a pistol on March 22. He is also involved in smuggling weapons from Thailand,” he said.
Sources said Muhammad Muzaffa also acted as an intermediary with an IS cell in Thailand.
Khalid urged anyone with information to contact Insp Mohd Badri Othman at 011-2692 4829 or the nearest police station.
The swoop in five states also led to the arrest of a 26-year-old college student at KL International Airport on April 4.
“She went to Turkey on Aug 29 last year with the intention of going to Syria to join IS.
“However, while waiting for instructions from Malaysian militant Muhammad Wanndy Mohamed Jedi, the suspect was detained by Turkish authorities on Feb 5,” Khalid said.
On April 20, a 41-year-old jobless man was held in Malacca while a 32-year-old woman, who worked as a factory technician, was arrested in Johor.
“We believe they were actively promoting IS propaganda via the Google Plus application,” he said.
The IGP said the last arrest was of a 41-year-old man in Penang on April 25.
He is believed to have promoted the IS struggle via 15 Facebook accounts since 2014.
“We believe he was also planning to attack mosques in Penang, where the Syiah followers often congregate,” he said.