Police detain more than 500 militants, terrorists over the last 16 years

Mar 25, 2017
One of the suspects who were arrested by police recently. Some 537 militants and terrorists have been detained by police over the past 16 years. File photo from Royal Malaysian Police

The Royal Malaysia Police (RMP) have detained a total of 537 militants and terrorists from 2001 to 2016 in combatting terrorism and extremism in the country.

Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said the police managed to gather intelligence information on security throughout the period to prevent the country from suffering the same fate as countries that had been the target of cruel acts of terrorism.

“In addition, the police have also detained 31 individuals suspected to be involved in Daesh (activity) from January until yesterday,” he said when attending the 210th Police Day Memorial Parade 2017 at the Police Training Centre (Pulapol) in Kuala Lumpur today.

On the police station in Tapah, Perak which had become a target by one of the nine suspects detained for their alleged involvement in Islamic State activity recently, Khalid said the suspect could have probably been familiar with the area.

“There is no particular reason as to why the suspect had targeted the police station in Tapah, maybe he (the suspect) knows the area too well,” he said.

It was reported yesterday that nine men, including a primary school teacher, were detained at several locations nationwide between March 15 and 21.

Meanwhile, on the security issue in the east coast of Sabah, Khalid said the threat of kidnappings was diminishing but the police remained vigilant over the area.

The IGP said this was due to the success of ‘Op Coral’ on Dec 8 last year which saw the three kidnappers, including its leader Abraham Hamid, being killed.

“The cooperation with Philippines has managed to cripple the kidnapping network which had been causing trouble all these while,” he said.

In another development, Khalid said police had yet to receive any notice on the gathering of a public debate between former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad and Tourism and Culture Minister Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz.

“I won’t comment on this issue (gathering) as long as I have yet to receive any notice on the debate from them,” he said.

Recently, the media reported that Mohamed Nazri, who is also Padang Rengas member of parliament, confirmed the debate with Dr Mahathir, who is Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) chairman, would go on.

The report mentioned that Mohamed Nazri would debate on matters pertaining to issues affecting the nation such as the Bumiputra Malaysia Finance (BMF) scandal, and he did not come out with any condition or term for the event. -Bernama