The much-talked about debate between Tourism and Culture Minister Mohamed Nazri Abd Aziz and former Premier Mahathir Mohamad is not a Government versus Opposition affair.
Following that, Mohamed Nazri agreed there was no need for the debate to be shown live on television.
The Star Online reported Mohamed Nazri as saying that neither one of them were heads of their coalitions, which means it would not be right to use Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM), a government-owned media platform to broadcast the debate.
The debate scheduled to take place in Padang Rengas this Saturday would be a dialogue between two individuals from opposing sides, according to Mohamed Nazri.
He noted that he was not the head of the government and that Mahathir too was not the opposition leader.
“If he was, then maybe it could be Government versus Opposition. I’m also not head of the Government, so this is purely between two individuals. It would be unfair to use the Government’s platform for that,” he was quoted as saying.
Previously, Communications and Multimedia Minister Salleh Said Keruak said RTM would not be airing the debate live.
Mohamed Nazri pointed out that the affair would be more of a dialogue between two leaders, without any proclamation of a winner or loser.