Tunku Abdul Aziz Tunku Ibrahim, former National Vice -Chairman of the DAP held a press conference today, 31 January, 2017 at the Eastin Hotel, Petaling Jaya.
The following is Tunku Abdul Aziz’s press statement:
1. Lim Kit Siang, the DAP adviser has yet to make a Statutory Declaration (SD) that he
had at no time ever entered into a secret agreement with Mahathir Mohamad (former Premier) that in the event of Pakatan Harapan (PH) winning the forthcoming general election, he would support Mukhriz Mahathir’s candidacy for the position of prime minister (PM).
2. In return for that support, he had asked that he be installed as deputy prime minister
(DPM) and concurrently finance minister.
3. While Mahathir has confirmed that Kit Siang had indeed asked to be appointed DPM and minister of finance as a quid pro quo, Kit Siang himself had not denied what Mahathir had said but instead had left it to his son (Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng) to contradict Mahathir.
4. The only way that Kit Siang can clear the air as far as this affair is concerned is for him to
make a SD stating in clear, unequivocal terms that what I had revealed originally about the secret understanding between himself and Mahathir was a complete fabrication or in plain English a lie.
5. Kit Siang has tried to get out of his moral obligation to come clean by saying that my
challenging him to make a SD was a silly political gimmick.
6. To Kit Siang, truth is inconsistent with political life, a gimmick, but voters have a right to
know if he and Mahathir have entered into this agreement.
7. Kit Siang’s reluctance to make the SD I had asked him to make in the interest of truth and
for the common good of the people of Malaysia is understandable; he is fearful that if
Malays know what his real intentions are, they would withhold their electoral support
for PH, making the DAP presence untenable.
8. In short, Kit Siang has to tread gently to keep Mahathir sweet. Mahathir has clipped Kit Siang’s political wings.
9. As proof of this, Kit Siang, once the self-confessed conscience of the nation, has remained silent on the BMF (Bumiputera Malaysia Finance Ltd) and the Forex gamble linked to the Mahathir administration.
10. Surprising, that the man who once ranted and foamed at the mouth in anger over BMF
— Carrian affair and had two books published in 1983 and in 1986 denouncing Mahathir, is totally silent as if he has lost the fire in his belly. His many detractors believe Kit Siang has been “bought.”
11. Kit Siang has shown that below the thin veneer of political integrity lies a self-serving
12. I urge Kit Siang, for the sake of transparency and accountability, to make that SD and to
declare his stand on the financial scandals linked to Mahathir’s 22-year administration.